Monday, September 13, 2010

Reading Samples on my Kindle

I used to keep lists of books and authors that were mentioned to me by students or colleagues or friends.  I would take note (or perhaps not) of any interesting new titles which I came across in journals and newspapers, or heard about on the radio. Eventually, I would get around to checking on Amazon or Indigo/Chapters for the bibliographic info and put them into my 'to order' list.  Now I rush to check if there is a sample of the work on Amazon's Kindle website and, instantly upload the chapters onto my machine for quick consumption.  I take advantage of this opportunity to assess material for my high school library, for my book club, for my family and of course, myself. Because I am a librarian, people are always asking me what they should read next, and now I have a better idea. The many samples on my Kindle right now include several recent bestsellers, as well as a collection of YA suggestions gleaned from various sources, usually the kids around me at school.  I have become much more savvy to what they are talking about because I carry my Kindle about wherever I go these days and read it during every opportunity - meetings, doctor's appointments, etc. I even enjoy reading in the evening using the Kindle.  When my eyes are tired at the end of the day, I enlarge the font and continue to burn the midnight oil.  Some of the books I have purchased either in Kindle or hardcopy and am reading now include several memoirs, for which I thank Roz Reisner.  Roz, author of 'Read On...Life Stories: Reading Lists for Every Taste" and 'Jewish American Literature; Reading Lists for Every Taste" gave a great session at the Association of Jewish Libraries Convention in July and provided a recommended list which I am pouring through:

Anne Roiphe,  'Epilogue'; Tom Reiss 'The Orientalist', Michael Chabon 'Manhood for Amateurs'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment